I agree that class is more important than race. And I use class to
indicate something more than simple economics, it is about persistent
economics and the attitudes that it engenders. Some kids are poor
because their parents lost a job. That situation sucks and the fact
that they are poor are absolutely important. Other kids are poor
because their parent(s) have a minimum wage job, if they are lucky,
and they come from a family that has been like that for a couple
generations. The sense of "class" there, the expectations, differ even
if the current economic reality of the families annual income might be
the same. When you have family and friends that are successful, you
have the belief that you can be successful. I was dirt poor during
many times in my childhood, on welfare, receiving foodstamps, family
in jail, etc. But I also had extended family that had college degrees,
that worked professionally, that started/owned businesses. I had the
expectation that I would go to college and I would not be poor the way
I grew up. That really puts me in a different class than people who
may have been just as poor but who also dealt with the fact that that
is all they know. Their parents didn't go to college, their
grandparents didn't, their aunts and uncles didn't. That is a
persistent economic reality that spans generations and makes it a lot
harder to imagine doing something different. That, to me, is class
versus simple economics. And that does, indeed, often have a racial
component.

Judah