On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Scott Stroz <boyz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To be fair, I think 'discriminatory' might be a better word. To me,
> 'racist' would infer some sort of hatred or dislike of one person or
> group because of their race. Clearly, in your example, there is no
> hatred or dislike (at least that I can see).

Discriminatory is probably a better word because it is less loaded. I
used racist in it's original sense, favoring one race over another
(though the whole concept of race is another can of worms).

> However, in your example, if it is wrong to NOT chose the minority
> candidate because they are a minority, it is equally wrong, regardless
> of the rationale, to NOT choose the white candidate because they are
> NOT a minority.

That's the dilemma between choices on an individual basis and those on
a policy basis. When we say that two candidates are equal, we are not
saying that they are the same. A policy that favors affirmative action
says that when other factors are equal, race comes into play as a
discriminator on the basis that the person who is a minority is less
well represented in the pool that will then make up the influences of
the next generation of applicants. To the individuals, the wrongness
is equal. Candidate A has a 3.2 gpa and a handful of extra curricular
activities, Candidate B has a 3.2 gap and a handful of extra
curricular activities. Ideally, you choose both. If you cannot choose
both, one will be wronged. Affirmative action rationale says that if
you are going to wrong one by not choosing them, you should choose the
candidate who will have the most positive effect on the next
generation. Since you cannot know that for a particular individual
(otherwise the candidates would not be equal), the choice of race is a
proxy in the hope that additional minority college students will
increase the statistical likelihood of future minority students having
positive contact with a college educated adult of their race.

Judah