I will agree with that...we (as in the UN) should have been involved a long
time ago in several African countries that we are just letting atrocioties
continue that are far more severe that what was happening in Libya.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Dinowitz [mailto:mdino...@houseoffusion.com]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 08:43
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Mig 23 fighter shot down over Benghazi!!

> In stark contrast the World, via the UN, has stated that they are
> attempting to protect the people of Libya after Gaddaffi stated that
> he would murder them without mercy to retain control of the country.
> And THAT is the primary reason for these attacks.

This makes me laugh my ass off as the UN has never attempted to 'protect the
people' of any country till now. I point to Darfur as the ever present
example. The only reason the UN is getting involved in this is because the
block of countries that literally control the direction of open debate at
the UN has decided to get behind this. If the Arab league, Russia, and China
didn't want this to happen, it wouldn't. Russia and China are silent on this
and are willing to 'let it go' for capital later. The Arab league is feeling
the pinch of world events and are almost forced to do something.

> Let me break it down for you:
>
> BUSH- PRIMARY REASON - Weapons of Mass Destruction/Funding Terrorism.

WMD = false, Funding terrorism = true

> OBAMA/UN - PRIMARY REASON - Protect Libyans after Gaddaffi says he
> will kill them without Mercy.

While ignoring him until now. And waiting a few days before even saying that
Qadaffi should step down.

And I would have thought after saying that Obama was weak, did not want to
> take any firm military stance on any matters, that you would be happy
> that he has decided on a definite, hawkish course of action along with
> France, Egypt etc.

I'm not an advocate of violence. There is a time and place for it but it has
to be balanced with many other factors. I'm all for assassination though.
It is always preferred as it kills the one responsible for the mess while
leaving civilians mostly alone. The problem is, you can't assassinate a head
of state. Sets a bad president. A barbaric military commander or terrorist
leader on the other hand...

So you're upset when he doesn't attack and talks and negotiates ad nauseum,
> and now you're upset when he does attack.

I've just reread though my responses and I don't see myself being upset in
any place nor have I advocated invading anyone. If I'm displeased with
anything it is the speed in which Obama dumped an ally and the slowness to
say anything about an enemy.
Obama is not a virgin here. He knew what Mubarak has been doing to his
people for all these years and was happy to keep silent till now. He also
knew what Qadaffi has been doing to his people. Why the different in
actions? Why the delay?

But bottom line is that if the Libyan people can get a good government
together rather than trading one tyrant for another then I'm happy for them.
They're sitting on top of untold riches in water and with the right
government they can become a true center of power in Africa (stop calling
them part of the middle or near east.)