In New Mexico you fill out a form to register. You need some sort of
proof of identity to actually vote, I believe, but the list of
acceptable proofs is fairly inclusive. Or you  can cast a provisional
ballot and then the precinct observers slug it out as to whether this
is a legitimate ballot. At least that's the way I understand it. But
the registering part -- I am absolutely positive about that.