I just finished writing something up about how actually it's hard to go
wrong reducing the amount of salt in the diet, actually. I sold it, so I
can't post it here, but essentially, until that point I walked around
saying yeah but I don't have high blood pressure and we know there's
nothing wrong with my heart. But apparently retaining fluid, which salt
will make you do, makes the heart work harder even if your blood pressure
is normal. (And like most people I do have *some risk factors for heart
problems -- family history and weight in my case.)

However, if the amounts are truly small, and they keep you from
binge-eating Hohos or something, it may not be the most important problem
for you to tackle. But I've stopped adding salt to my food now, personally,
and this was a vice I'd been allowing myself.

Apparently most people get about twice as much as would be healthy without
ever adding any to food themselves.

fyi...