On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Justin Scott <leviat...@darktech.org> wrote:
>> The strip search should not have happened.
>> Being jailed should not have happened.
>
> Those are really part of the same step, not generally separate tasks.
> Being strip searched is part of the process of being booked into jail
> in most counties as a standard procedure.  If you get to the point of
> being booked into jail and sent into general population, I do not
> believe a strip search is unreasonable for the safety of the jail
> staff, contractors, and other inmates.

This is where I have to disagree. This guy, even if the ticket system
was correct and he had a warrant for an outstanding unpaid fine,
should not have been strip searched. He was a passenger in a car that
was pulled over for speeding. Not drugs, not weapons offenses. His
(supposedly) unpaid fine had nothing to do with drugs or weapons.
There is no reason to believe that he would be hiding drugs or weapons
in his ass or anywhere else that a simple pat down and metal detector
wouldn't find.

They conducted a strip search that did not do anything meaningful to
enhance the safety of anyone. It was a straight up violation of the
4th amendment. People have rights. Just because it may theoretically
enhance the safety of some people, just because it is more convenient
to have a single policy of "strip search everyone" that isn't a
compelling interest that should trump a fundamental constitutional
right. That's the problem.

Juda