Also, in NJ, Sheriff's Officers are not patrol officers. They are
mostly used to serve warrants, operate 911 services, guard the county
courthouse and/or man the county prison.

I know this is different than elsewhere (including where I live now)
but this incident occurred in NJ, so I think its important to get the
details correct.