On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Cameron Childress <camer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because it's not a hypothetical? Because people are stabbed with smuggled
> weapons in jails all the time? Because it actually happens, and isn't just
> an imaginary boogyman?

It is a hypothetical.

You are saying that routine strip searching is justified because it is
possible that such procedures could prevent a hypothetical attack that
you outline. It's a justification of an incursion upon personal
liberty in the name of safety.

I took the same argument the next step further. We hold people in
solitary all the time. We get rid of any clothing that might be used
to hurt themselves or others. Why not just put everyone in solitary?

Where is the line you draw to stop saying that the increased safety is
justified?

That's an honest question.

I'm saying that allowing strip searches of everyone without having to
have any reason is stepping over that line. Others, obviously,
disagree. Where should the line be drawn then?

Judah