Then they said this:

“In an effort to cool the situation down, it didn’t come from me, it
didn’t come from Secretary Clinton. It came from people on the ground
who are potentially in danger,” Obama said. “And my tendency is to cut
folks a little bit of slack when they’re in that circumstance, rather
than try to question their judgment from the comfort of a campaign
office.”

But Obama’s remarks belie the enormous frustration of top officials at
the State Department and White House with the actions of the man
behind the statement, Cairo senior public affairs officer Larry
Schwartz, who wrote the release and oversees the embassy’s Twitter
feed, according to a detailed account of the Tuesday’s events…

“The statement was not cleared with anyone in Washington. It was sent
as ‘This is what we are putting out,’” the official said. “We replied
and said this was not a good statement and that it needed major
revisions. The next email we received from Embassy Cairo was ‘We just
put this out.’”…

“People at the highest levels both at the State Department and at the
White House were not happy with the way the statement went down. There
was a lot of anger both about the process and the content,” the
official said. “Frankly, people here did not understand it. The
statement was just tone deaf. It didn’t provide adequate balance. We
thought the references were inappropriate, and we strongly advised
against the kind of language that talked about ‘continuing efforts by
misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.’”

.