"I would feel extremely disappointed and concerned if Romney were in charge of
the US for the next 4 years. Not him, and certainly not Ryan."

I think you are going to be disappointed then.

"The entire GOP needs to change back to what it used to be, not the extremist
mess that its become."

Two things:

Is the GOP any more extremist than the Democrats?  If so, how?

Personally, I'd like to see the two party system lose some power.  Abolish
straight ticket voting and don't list party on the ballot would be my first
step in this.

"There needs to be a credible alternative."

You're shit out of luck there, at least in my opinion.  As I have said many
times:  The Republic party sucks.  It just sucks less than the Democrats.

-

Every collectivist revolution rides in on a Trojan horse of "emergency". It
was the tactic of Lenin, Hitler, and Mussolini. In the collectivist sweep
over a dozen minor countries of Europe, it was the cry of men striving to
get on horseback. And "emergency" became the justification of the
subsequent steps. This technique of creating emergency is the greatest
achievement that demagoguery attains. - Herbert Hoover