Also, I'm not a Christian or a Jew, and both Christians and Jews have gone
through major reforms doing away with most of the worst of their religions.

I also would say I don't agree about the christian thing.  Yes the old
testament and the torah have pretty fucked up and backwards rules.  The new
testament not so much.