My point though is similar to the adage among network security people:
"Don't rely on security through obscurity." This kind of approach doesn't
lead to any real reduction of bias. A better goal is to encourage civility
and respect in the face of differences.

You mention that people don't edit themselves online. I have seen the same,
but I can assure you that I do edit myself. In your original example of Ben
Forta, you even acknowledge that for two years he effectively had this
"secret" that you didn't know. Was he intentionally not sharing that part of
himself to avoid bias? I don't know (though having met him I doubt it.) I do
know though that I have some very strong biases, even regarding aspects of
people in this community. However, I choose not to let those biases
interfere because they only lead to more anger and resentment. I choose
instead to respect people for the knowledge they bring to the discussion and
I simply ignore those aspects which I find distasteful. I edit myself for
the sake of civility, and I suspect many of us do.

I'm not trying to batter down your position. I agree that anything that
helps people communicate without bias at any point is beneficial. I'm just
thinking out loud about behavioral ideas I've been toying with for a while.

Kevin Graeme