I still play Counterstrike, but I play only on servers that I'm familiar
with.  I almost NEVER come in contact with cheaters anymore, and the
ones I do see in games get banned with alarming speed.

The distributed, homegrown nature of CS is what's made it so popular.
If Valve tries to supercede all this with a monolithic anti-cheating
device, it'll backfire.

I've played on servers where I've had an alarmingly good day and go
frag-happy (that, and I'm a camper, so I rack up kills in strings
usually) and get accused of cheating, but I've never been banned by a
human admin, since they can see what's happening and make a judgment call.

- Jim