The one that got me was banning all Passover related items in specialty
stores because there was no French on them.

As for my characterization of the policies of the PQ as ethnic cleansing. It
fits. The PQ have a long history of racism and anti-Semitism. As recently as
the recent leadership contest in the PC, Yves Michaud made quite a few
anti-Jewish remarks and has remained quite unapologetic about it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1080790.stm

"Mr Michaud, a long-time hardliner who wants to see Quebec separate from
Canada, said ethnic communities in Quebec were intolerant because they vote
against sovereignty.

Yves Michaud says Jewish suffering has been exaggerated
He also characterised members of a leading Jewish organisation, B'nai Brith,
as terrorists and anti-Quebec, and went on to say that Jews think they were
the only ones who have suffered throughout history.

The Quebec National Assembly voted unanimously to condemn the statement.

But the controversy gained momentum when other separatist hardliners, led by
the former premier Jacques Parizeau, backed Mr Michaud.

He argued that the assembly had acted outside its powers in passing the
motion.

Just after losing the independence referendum in 1995 by a narrow margin, Mr
Parizeau gained notoriety by blaming what he described as money and the
ethnic vote for his party's defeat.

Power struggle

On Wednesday, Mr Michaud stood by his comments, saying he had nothing to
apologise for, and called on Mr Bouchard to back down and let him stand in
the election. "

Moreover other PQ officials have stated that their aim is to create a purely
francophone independent country. Without the minority groups or indian
tribes.

That's ethic cleansing by any definition, whether its done by violence or by
legal fiat.

larry