Dana,

Remember the last referendum on the topic was worded by the Parti Quebecois.
Not the Canadian Government. Since the PQ is the separatist party, you would
figure that they would have worded the question to get the result that they
wanted. Moreover given what Jacques Parizeau said after the referendum
regarding immigrants and Jews and other minorities, its probably a very good
thing that the PQ lost that referendum. I would not have been surprised if
they would have further increased their efforts at ethnic cleansing if the
Yes effort succeeded. Many in the PQ have the same attitudes that Parizeau
had regarding the non-francophones.

Also only about 58% of the francophone Quebecois voted yes (see
http://newsworld.cbc.ca/flashback/1995/quebec3.html). Not exactly a
resounding majority. Additionally over 90% of the non francophone Quebecois
voted No.

As for the PQ being in power, well how many referenda have they had since
1995? They are acting like a general moderate to liberal (for Canada that
is) political party now.

larry