Dana,

28 to 47 percent of the francophone population do not exactly support your
statement. To quote from the article you cited in the Globe and Mail:
--
"Since the 1995 referendum, support for sovereignty has always hovered
around 40 per cent to 42 per cent," said Jean-Marc Léger, president of Leger

With a federal election only a few months away, the poll also sends a signal
to Ottawa that separatism is not dead and that Quebeckers, especially
francophones, continue to weigh their options on what Prime Minister Paul
Martin will offer.

The poll conducted on behalf of The Globe and Mail, Le Devoir and Montreal
radio station CKAC showed that the majority of francophones -- 53 per cent
-- support sovereignty while 75 per cent of non-francophones oppose it.

But support for sovereignty remains soft, Mr. Léger said. When voters were
asked whether they would back sovereignty without an offer of political and
economic partnership with the rest of Canada, support drops to 28 per cent.

"What this shows is that when Quebeckers are confronted with two radical
options, sovereignty or status-quo federalism, we find that the majority
find themselves somewhere in between. They don't want outright sovereignty
and they are not happy that things remain the same," Mr. Léger said.
--

So in other words, without all the benefits of being with Canada, without
the soft separatism advocated by the PQ, support for independece for Quebec

So less than a third  of people in Quebec support independence.

Moreover my take on that poll is that its not support for separation, but
that people are simply pissed off at the provincial Liberal party.

larry