> From: Marlon Moyer
>
> Is vehicle theft a big problem?  The theft insurance on the
> ford is about $16/day?  That seems a bit steep to me.

They've probably been stung by their insurance companies, so the
insurance rates could be higher... Theft usually occurs on the more
desirable cars for one of two things: 1) Joy Riding (boy racer type
cars) or 2) Parts (the more expensive cars)

Most average cars won't be stolen

> Also, if I have a car charger for my camera that works here,
> will it be the same plug/voltage in the cars across the pond?

Cigar lighters are 12v everywhere, it's the voltage of the car battery

> How about cell phones.  Do any of the cell phones available
> in the states work there?

If you receive/make calls then expect to pay one arm, one leg and your
first born child! Trans-Atlantic calls are HELLISHLY expensive - expect
to pay at least a dollar per minute to receive or make a call (some
companies will charge you several dollars per minute)

If you can, rent a mobile phone at the airport - if you're wanting to
speak to people in the UK, it'll work out a LOT cheaper

Just so you know, UK call them mobile phones rather than cell phones -
you might confuse some people if you refer to them as cell phones

> What about plug-in devices. Do I need to bring my own
> convertor or do the hotels provide them?

Most hotels will not give you voltage converters, apart from the shaver
plugs in the bathrooms, where they put both 240 and 110 volts

If you want to run something in the UK, try to get one that works on
both 110 and 240 - most newer laptops will do this naturally for you -
anything else and you'll be lucky if you can get it to work

While on laptops, make sure that you've got a UK phone cable - they're
different plugs from the US phones (if you intend to dial in to a world
service while over there)

Watch your purchases of electronics while over there as well - not
everything works 110 volts, some do, some don't

If you can get one, and you need it, buy a 240 to 110 converter in the
UK - it'll be cheaper than buying one in the US and carrying it over
(they should be about £20-30 - $35-50) - I believe Dixons used to carry
them, not sure if they still do

Funnily enough - you're going at a bad time for the US exchange rate -
you're paying more $ than if you had travelled about 6 months ago - the
US$ is pretty bad at the moment compared to the UK£