Personally, though many people love the rail pass, if you can squeeze a
car into your budget ...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do.

PLEASE.

You really get to be on your own schedule and see places that the train
doesn't get to.

Don't stay in hotels ... I can find you B&B's for everywhere you want to
stay.
£25-£35 a night, sometimes for a pair, sometimes per person, and it
ALWAYS includes a beautiful breakfast.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  don't do a tour
without a car. :(

You will be so disappointed.

Cheers,
Erika