Marlon,

I know I already told you once to skip SE Scoland, and I still would definitely not miss the highlands -- and Loch Ness for instance -- over it. Or the Lake District.

But if logistics dictate that you are going to spend a night *somewhere* in the area, then may I suggest that you detour about 20-25 miles east and go to Ayr rather than Glasgow.

I haven't been there in some time but I am sure there are still fishermen selling eels along the waterfront and some pretty nice scenery to the north along the coast for when you leave in the morning. Sample raw whelks, a local delicacy, and wash them down with a few brews :) I seem to recall a beach as well.

Glasgow on the other hand is an industrial port mainly noted afaik for the extent of its slums.

Be aware either way that the local dialect is all but impenetrable :) It used to take me several days of acclimatization before I could understand
my grandmother, and I had already had practice with my father, who used to lapse into it every now and then.

Dana