Excellent example.

The situations aren't totally analogous, but close enough.

If there were American civilians that wanted to permanently move to Iraq for the jobs, then I think they should get first crack. If there were no takers then and only then should short-timers get the chance for those jobs.

If there were non-American civilians who wanted a permanent place in Iraq, then they should be admitted first as well.

People willing to permanently commit to the country should get a higher priority over those who aren't so willing.

(Complications to this comparison include the US contracts that require US personnel with clearances and work for a particular US government contractor.)

(Many of the foreign civilians working in Iraq at the moment brought their own pay with them, so they don't really count in this discussion)

Also, the comparison breaks down when comparing the waiting list to move to Iraq vs the waiting list to move to the US. Iraq isn't having to turn immigrants away in droves at the moment.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/05/04 04:53PM >>>
Um, I am sure that the thousands of Americans in Iraq (civilian
security, development, etc) have exactly NO plans to STAY there. They
are making their money while they can, then bolting. I am also pretty
sure that they are not too keen on their "country" right now either.

I can understand missing culture, missing the homeland, but I don;t
agree with coming over with every intention of leaving when they've made
some money. They don't deserve to be here (as there are people who want
to come here and STAY who couldn't come because the spot was filled by a
short timer.)