From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 1:52 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Developer Platform suggestions was Re: Nice

> Which?  Windows or Linux?

If you want to keep things simple and don't want to have to fuss with
linux driver compatibilities, etc.  Then, go with Windows 2000 or XP.

> Why?

If you've never dealt with linux before, you'll thank me.  Yes, it's
gotten easier to install, but despite what Matt L. says, it doesn't mean
it's gotten easier to use overall.

> What db(s) should I put on the developer box -- I want to be able to
> develop and demonstrate entirely on a laptop (and I rule out MS-Access
> as a viable db for presentations/demonstrations)?

If you want dbs that don't cost money:
-MySQL
-PostgreSQL

Otherwise, SQL Server 2k (MDSE version is free I think) will run you a
pretty penny (and, same with oracle).  IBM DB2 Developer edition is free
as well.

> What should I expect to pay for hardware & software for a complete,
> self-contained development system?

Roughly $2-3 grand for hardware.  The packages we got recently from dell
runs about $1500-$1800, not bad for a work machine w/ 19" monitor.

Software depends.  What all are you looking to do?  I run:
-Apache (free)
-CFMX Developer edition (free)
-MySQL (free)
-datamodelling tool (casestudio.com - $325)
-Photoshop ($900+)
-Flash MX (better off getting Studio MX for that price)

Also misc. programs for sound editing, video editing, etc.  There are
plenty of free alternatives out there, but your development platform
should try to mimic the production platform as close as possible.

> Also looking for hardware brand/source recommendations;

-Dell, Alienware

Todd Rafferty ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - http://www.web-rat.com/ |
        Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion           |
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/  |
http://www.flashCFM.com/   - webRat (Moderator)            |
http://www.ultrashock.com/ - webRat (Back-end Moderator)   |