From: Dick Applebaum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 12:58 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Developer Platform suggestions was Re: Nice

On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 10:44 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If the majority of the program I ran wasn't windows based, I'd run
> redhat linux.  Dick, I think you're going about this the wrong way
> tho. OSX shows a lot of promise from what I've seen (despite that it's
> a day and a dollar too late).  Hell, I'm jealous of OSX that it runs
> on top of a stable platform like BSD.  There is nothing inheritantly
> wrong with OSX and the MyOS is better than YourOS is always going to
> be a heated discussion.  I'd seriously invest in another layer of
> humor and thick skin and not worry about it so much.

The fact that an OS is good or bad isn't the issue.  What I need is an
OS that supports my Developer platform of choice and vise-versa.   I
spent a lot of time on the port and vocal support of CFMX-Mac OS X
platform... a lot of time that could have been spent earning an income.
  I gave it my best shot, butnow it's time to move on.

I can add the layer of humor and skin -- but I gotta' pay the bills,
too.

> If you really want to make everyone happy on the list (opposed to
> yourself) then... get a wintel or redhat box for the purpose of a

Which?  Windows or Linux?

Why?

What db(s) should I put on the developer box -- I want to be able to
develop and demonstrate entirely on a laptop (and I rule out MS-Access
as a viable db for presentations/demonstrations)?

What should I expect to pay for hardware & software for a complete,
self-contained development system?

Also looking for hardware brand/source recommendations;

Also, what software packages beyoun the basic OS?

TIA

Dick