I personally have stuck with Win2k and have been very pleased.  I run three dev boxes.
 Two desktops and one laptop.  One desktop runs Apache and the others are IIS.

I primarily develop in mySQL/win.  Its dirt-simple to use, free, resource-light, has a
great enterprise mgr (3rd party) and is what I use in production.  I recode as needed
(usually only db create and alter templates) for Oracle, MS SQL and Access.

One dev box with 1gb of RAM has mySQL, MSDE (SQL Server) and Oracle 9i running, all at
the same time, w/about 400 mb ram unused at bootup.  The key to this is boatloads of
RAM.  Oracle is the big hog in this regard.

All machines also run cf 4.5 and cfmx (port 8500) concurrently.  I use Studio 4.5.
I'll bet you can still get a copy cheap on ebay.

My laptop runs mySQL and MSDE only.  Thats all I need for road warrior stuff.

My desktops are - get this - P II 400's maybe 2 yrs old, built to spec.  With a lot of
ram and disk space thats fine for dev work, although MX's sloth is changing that
opinion.  The laptop is one of those teeny 3lb, 1'' thick Sonys with a 12'' scrn.
When I travel I like it light.  Cost me $1100 on a closeout at CDW last November.

Matt Robertson    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MSB Designs, Inc., www.mysecretbase.com