You can - as you mentioned - use MSDE for MS SQL.  Its free, included on any Office CD
and if you own an MS product with MSDE on it you are licensed to use it (I checked
with MS a few months back).  But you don't get the Enterprise Manager.  I use a
combination of SQL statements and eyeballing the data in Studio's odbc tab.
Fortunately not my primary environment.

Oracle, however, won't set a developer back any money at all.  Just go to Oracle.com
and sign up for a dev license.  You get a fully functional ver licensed only for dev
use.

Then all you need is a couple of gigs of space and a bunch of time to download the
monstrous thing... and about 500 mb of RAM to run it without paging.

Matt Robertson    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MSB Designs, Inc., www.mysecretbase.com

from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

Otherwise, SQL Server 2k (MDSE version is free I think) will run you a
pretty penny (and, same with oracle).  IBM DB2 Developer edition is free
as well.