> I just bought a 160 Gig external firewire  -- it is faster
> than the laptop's 40 gig internal drive -- will firewire
> work on an intel box or do I need to get something else?

Firewire works fine under Windows 2000, as long as your machine has a
Firewire port. Most new high-end laptops have them. There are add-on
Firewire cards for desktops and laptops. I use a Firewire DVD+RW burner on
two machines here - one Mac, one PC, and it works nicely with both.

> I'd rather avoid a proprietary language -- especially if
> the owner is Microsoft-- if I am going to do this, I want
> to have the maximum exposure to accept profitable development
> opportunities and be at the smallest risk that my investment
> of $ and time can be held hostage by a software or hardware
> manufacturer -- that's the major reason to make the change.

I wouldn't worry too much about .NET going anywhere in the near future.
Besides, Java is proprietary too, in many respects - it's largely controlled
by Sun, never mind what they tell you about the "Java Community Process".

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444