I still don't understand -- how does an application "grab" control from
the OS?

Doesn't the OS have control of switching between Applications?

I  sometimes screw things up myself, if while typing really fast (for
me) I inadvertently type some keyboard shortcut (ctrl-something) that
tells the OS to switch applications, open a dialog, or somesuch.

Is this what you are talking about?

If so, then  I agree that it would be nice to have an OS enhancement
that would protect you from yourself, e.g. a special setting (toggle)
that would block keystrokes that could cause toe OS to change focus.

Dick