Matt -
I just actually dissassembled a canada shipping/ tax piece on one of my
clients sites I built.
Basically here are the elements -
1) Broker Fee / Customs and all that - Typically a broker fee is
involved - a percentage based fee. Includes a standard federal percetn
fee too I believe. If not broker- then I guess jsut the federal - my
clients used a Broker to eliminate this guessing.
2) Province tax - as much as 15% in Newfoundland
3) Exchange Rate
4) Your shipping rates - flat rate or carrier

We applied tax pre-shipping cost - yet the broker fee I beleive needed
to be on complete purchase.

Hope this little bit helps. Feel free to email me off list if you wnat
further details.
jay miller

P.S. THe rates i have for province are as follows ( please confirm them)
Province    ProvAbr    TaxRate
Alberta    AB    7
British Columbia    BC    14
Manitoba    MB    14