One last note Bryan....

The fees charged by the courier companies are the same in nature as those
charged by brokers--it's just the courier company acting as the broker. The
fee is charged per entry (they have to make a submission called a B3 per
shipment--now most of this is done electronically using systems called CADEX
and ACROSS). The courier companies, like the brokers, submit duty on your
behalf--they may or may not pay the GST. It varies. The brokerage fee is a
handling fee and is usually a minimum of around $40 or $50, sometimes it's a
percentage of the value of the goods over and above the minimum, and often
it's inflated by various little service charges (number of lines having to
be rated, etc.).  Some goods are duty-free--that gets complicated.

And a way to avoid paying high brokerage fees using FEDEX or UPS is to ship
the goods to yourself personally--avoid the use of a company name--they then
assume the goods are personal, and they usually won't charge the brokerage
fee--except FEDEX always charges if it's a ground shipment I believe ?? Go
figure.

Anyway, you are right. This is a importing issue--not an ecomm matter.
Whatever costs accrue as a result of importing goods should already be built
into the purchase price by then.

My father ran a brokerage business--retired at age 40 and lives in New
Zealand. Lucrative I guess :o~

Dawn