From: Jason Miller [mailto:millerj@;etcnj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 2:11 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SOT: E-Commerce site for Canada

Matt -
I just actually dissassembled a canada shipping/ tax piece on one of my
clients sites I built.
Basically here are the elements -
1) Broker Fee / Customs and all that - Typically a broker fee is
involved - a percentage based fee. Includes a standard federal percetn
fee too I believe. If not broker- then I guess jsut the federal - my
clients used a Broker to eliminate this guessing.
2) Province tax - as much as 15% in Newfoundland
3) Exchange Rate
4) Your shipping rates - flat rate or carrier

We applied tax pre-shipping cost - yet the broker fee I beleive needed
to be on complete purchase.

Hope this little bit helps. Feel free to email me off list if you wnat
further details.
jay miller

P.S. THe rates i have for province are as follows ( please confirm them)
Province    ProvAbr    TaxRate
Alberta    AB    7
British Columbia    BC    14
Manitoba    MB    14
New Brunswick    NB    15
Newfoundland    NF    15
Northwest Territories    NT    7
Nova Scotia    NS    15
Nunavut    NT    7
Ontario    ON    15
Prince Edward Island    PE    7
Quebec    PQ    16
Saskatchewan    SK    13
Yukon    YT    7

Matthew Fusfield wrote:

>Hi,
>We are building an e-commerce site that is specifically targeted to a
Canadian market. Most of our work has either been US domestic or so
international that we use a 3rd party to do the calculations.

>Anyway, anyone know of or have a quick reference to how sales taxes are
calculated in Canada and to what they apply? (ie I believe one of the taxes
applies to another tax, and are shipping charges generally taxed?) We are
having trouble getting information out of our client that is accurate in
this area.