I had a trial DW, but it has expired.  I tried it for a while but it
was just too involved & slow compared to BBEdit.

I wasn't doing any Java programming at the time, so I saw no need to
change IDEs.

When I decided to learn Java, I decided to look for an IDE to ease the
pain.  Eclipse looks like the best bet, so far.

BBEdit color-codes Java, and has a Glossary where you can get/write
plugins (that's how CF is implemented).  There is a jsp plugin & I may
get that.

I wanted to avoid fiddling with classpath, javac, etc. -- Eclipse does
a pretty good job of that (once you figure it out).

Also, I have observed that Java apps tend to have a lot more components
than procedural-language apps -- Eclipse does a pretty good job of
managing them.

But, I am still learning Eclipse and have only scratched the surface.
Since it is Java-oriented it should help guide me (gently prod or
strong-arm) to good Java development habits,

That said, I haven't seen anything yet that Eclipse can do that BBEdit
can't.

Once I learn how to do Java in Eclipse, I may revert to BBEdit.

BBEdit has built-in hooks for adding code completion, snippets,
compile/execute scripts.  So It shouldn't be too difficult to make
BBEdit do whatever the Eclipse IDE is doing (that I need to do.

As, I've mentioned previously, BBEdit, as an editor, is superior to the
one(s) in Eclipse (or elsewhere, for that matter).

Dick