>>for about an hour now I have been trying to figure
out an equivalent to F12 (preview page in browser in DW)

Isn't that the most useless feature ?
I mean it is so much easier to open your browser on the test page, and just click on refresh every time your page is updated.
Anyway, most of the time, a CF template cannot be accessed directly and must be called from another one containing a form or defining session variables, or whatsoever?