Rick Faircloth wrote:

> Let me ask you...what feature in all the versions after 4.5 has
> really changed the product that you create?  Not *how* you create it,
> but what the client actually uses?

Since most everything in coldfusion generates plain ol' HTML you're not
going to see a lot of stuff that changes the end user experience.

The features of the programming language that drives that HTML are why a
programmer upgrades.

For example, user defined functions were a valuable increase in
PROGRAMMING functionality to me, that the end-user didn't see a bit of.
  But it made my programming a lot easier to say something like <cfif
isvalidemail(form.email)> versus running it through a custom tag.  And
CFC development makes the programs I write easier to maintain and easier
to write.

> RIA's are a radical change
> from the norm, but too much of a jump to have to use Flash, ActionScript,
> etc. (In other words, a whole new paradigm of development)

Well, if you had stayed current, it wouldn't be a huge increase... CFC
development in CFMX was really an extension of the UDF functionality
available in CF5.0 (with a lot more features)... web services and flash
remoting both access CFCs (assuming you're using coldfusion to power
your RIA).

And my users LOVE the flash apps I've developed.  They aren't fancy, but
they are a LOT faster and easier to use than the previous HTML-based
versions of the same applications.  And they're a LOT easier to maintain.

> I see all the talk about CFC's and have some idea of what they are,
> but they're still just means to the same end...right?

They are a means to becoming a BETTER developer, to writing more
maintainable, more re-usable code, and basically being more productive
in what you do on a daily basis.

> has revolutionized your end product and not just your development process?

I guess if you're not interested in expanding your programming skills,
developing better applications, and working faster, then there's no
reason to upgrade at all.

I'll admit, I simply don't understand your point of view.  I can't
fathom someone not being interested in features that make their job easier.

  - Rick