For the first point, you can use your version control system to keep
both deployments in sync.  Just have your production boxes check out a
working copy of your production branch, and then when you make
changes, run an 'update' on both of them.

Or you could take a different tack (what we do for our clusters).  We
have a single master server that we push all updates to.  That server,
as part of recieving updates, ensure that they are propogated to all
other machines, both in the cluster it's a member of, and our backup
cluster at a different datacenter.  So when we add a new machine, we
register it as a slave with the master server, and it immediately gets
all updates that are passed to the master.  It works really well, as
long as having all your servers updated at the same time is a
reasonable course of action (which is not the case a lot of times).

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert