I'm jumping into this SCC/deployment discussion pretty late, but
wanted to echo the votes for Subversion for source control. On the
client side, TortoiseSVN on the Windows client side is excellent and
Subclipse is there for Eclipse users.

(I haven't seen any Mac users chime in about how it works for them on
Dreamweaver, but my Mac friends tell me Subversion repositories can be
mounted pretty easily on OS X since it's all Web_DAV under the hood --
that's probably even easier than dealing with Tortoise for simple
tasks)

And the latest Subversion (1.2) added reserved checkout functionality,
which is the model Visual SourceSafe (among others) uses -- files are
locked until the user checks them back in. This is in addition to the
base functionality of Subversion, which follows the model used by CVS
and other SCC that allows anyone to check out any files and focuses on
merging to resolve changes.

> Scripting it all
> You could setup all of this to run as batch files in windows or linux.  The
> staging process could be scheduled.  You could trigger the running of the
> staging deployment by calling a CF page with a CFExecute that runs the batch
> file.  If you are extra crafty you might use a nifty new CF Gateway to watch
> for some file system chage or listen for a ping from somewhere to tell it to
> run and get the latest release....

I'm pretty suprised no one's mentioned Ant and the many, many tools
around it for the deployment side of things. Regardless of the SCC
system, Ant is a nobrainer for automating deployment, especially if
you need to do things like reset databases, run test or acceptance
suites, or any other of the additional quality control steps as part
of an automated deployment process. Plug in CruiseControl and you've
got a pretty robust system for deploying for test, stage, and
production/delivery.

As an aside, I'll be talking about these tools at CF-United in the
Open Source Java Tools session and they are certainly topics that can
come up at the BOF.

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint