Amanda, I don't recall seeing anywhere in this thread whether or not your
company will be doing its own hosting or not...but if you outsource your
hosting, then it doesn't have to cost very much at all to develop using CF,
depending on what tools your developers opt to use. The developer version of CF
server is free, so that's not a monetary issue; as far as IDEs go, Dreamweaver
is pretty commonly used, but lately the craze has been the open source IDE
"Eclipse", with a CF plugin (CFEclipse) as the IDE of choice. I could be wrong
on my facts (if so, other please chime in), but developing apps in CF doesn't
have to cost very much AT ALL, as long as you're willing to make a few small
compromises. You could outsource your hosting for anywhere from $15 to $50 a
month, use open source development IDEs for free, and utilize the developer
version of CF Server also for free. I'd say that's very much in the ballpark
with PHP when it comes to costs, with all the beauty and RAD of CF.

Just my opinion, coming from the perspective of someone who didn't have the
luxury of the ideal environment when i was first learning CF.

> will admit upfront: i haven't a clue about CF.
>
> which is why i'm here.
>
> i'm trying to design an application where:
>
> user fills out some forms
> (submits)
> then their input is gathered + spit back out in a flash movie
>
> i've seen this accomplished in both .php and .cfm but don't know what
> the difference is between the two or the PROS/CONS of each.
>
> can someone help me figure it out??
>
> many many
thanks!