I feel your pain and have recently worked through many of the problems
that you are currently struggling with.  This is the solution that we
found works for us and is in no way "best practice" or the "right way",
but hey, it works for us with 20 developers all working on the same set
of code!

We decided to have each developer run a local copy of CF under apache as
well as installing TortoiseSVN to interact with SVN (Subversion).  Our
IT guys helped me put together an installer package that had the apache
conf files as well as all the necessary installers.  We wrote a few CF
files that used the admin API to create all the necessary datasources
etc.  This enables us to bring a computer from start to configured in
about an hour.

We have two "environments", QA and production that we deploy to.  When
we are ready to QA a release, we create a branch from the trunk and have
our QA server switch to that branch for testing.  If there are any
problems, we update the trunk and merge those changes into the release
branch.  Once this branch is ready for deployment onto our live servers
we simply have the live servers switch to the new release branch.

Currently we are not using many automated processes to accomplish this
(outside of SVN) but I'm looking into ANT and CruiseControl as I've
heard really great things about both for automated deployments.

In regards to your question about the logistical nightmare of keeping
all developers in sync...well SVN handles all of it from a code
perspective.  When a developer attempts to commit changes to the
repository, they are notified that their local copy is out of date and
they must sync with the server prior to any commits.  On the data side,
we have data environments (development, qa, live) and all developers
have their CF datasources pointed to our dev DB server.

HTH

Rich