> See, that's exactly what i'm talking about. If another
> company adds a feature *before* Adobe does, then how is it
> not the responsibility of Adobe to maintain compatibility
> when they themselves add the same feature? Should the other
> company in question break backwards compatibility with their
> own code just to match Adobe's implementation? Once again we
> see the position that only Adobe is allowed to innovate in
> this area.

Adobe is not selling a CFML engine. Adobe is selling ColdFusion. Adobe
hasn't standardized CFML, and has no responsibility to any other vendor
selling CFML engines. You can argue that those other vendors likewise have
no responsibility to Adobe, and I'd agree, but if you build a product that
provides compatibility with someone else's product as its chief feature, the
onus is on you to provide that compatibility.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Training: Adobe/Google/Paperthin Certified Partners
http://training.figleaf.com/

WebManiacs 2008: the ultimate conference for CF/Flex/AIR developers!
http://www.webmaniacsconference.com/