From: Tanguy Rademakers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 March 2008 11:22 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Bluedragon = open source

>Adobe is not selling a CFML engine. Adobe is selling ColdFusion. Adobe
>hasn't standardized CFML, and has no responsibility to any other vendor
>selling CFML engines. You can argue that those other vendors likewise have
>no responsibility to Adobe, and I'd agree, but if you build a product that
>provides compatibility with someone else's product as its chief feature,
the
>onus is on you to provide that compatibility.

Nobody could argue that NA haven't made every reasonable effort to ensure
compatibility between BlueDragon and CFMX - as you point out, that's the
business they're in. But when Adobe willingly breaks compatibility with
BlueDragon by implementing a BD feature in a non-compatible manner, i think
it is biased to claim that NA is responsible for resolving the resulting
incompatibility. Most of us get upset when Microsoft abuses its dominant
market position like this, i for one fail to see how Adobe is any different
in this case.