Sean Said:
Since Adobe (Macromedia / Allaire) created ColdFusion, I don't think they
have any responsibility to "maintain compatibility" since they created the
de facto standard. The burden is on other companies to build compatible CFML
engines, IMO. Nor do Adobe have any incentive to create a common standard
definition of CFML - as you said, that would simply make it easier for other
companies to build compatible CFML engines.

Sean,

I would disagree with you on this in spirit.  While there is no real or
legal responsibility for them to maintain compatibility, It would behoove
them to do so (yes...the true responsibility does lie with the other
companies...but I do think that Adobe should lead the way).  If they try to
bring BD users over to Adobe, wouldn't it be a lot easier if they were able
to say you can migrate over to our engine without having to modify the code?
Make the selling points be things in relation to the engine like efficiency,
stability, etc more than the code.  While it would make it easier for other
companies to create CF engines, they should also recognize that the
competition does everyone good as it keeps the language fresh and
competitive with other languages and inspires product innovation and
improvement.  This also would keep the developers happy too...something they
should be actively trying to do as we are the best salesmen they have.
Maybe a CF standards organization is in order?

Eric