Actually the support I'm talking about IS enterprise support, and it is in a
lot of cases, utterly useless.   I'm not even mentioning consumer level
support, which can probably be replaced with a nice AI that follows the same
exact script they do.  They are not trained to think.  They are trained to
search for the problem you are having in their knowledgebase, and then guide
you through the script.  Higher level support is often better though

While enterprise support might be ok, you will often find better support on
mailing lists as they have more people, and more likely that someone has
faced the issue before.  Also, since the software is free, it has been used
by more people.  Not everyone, for example, can afford to buy Oracle, so the
number of installs would be smaller then MySQL, and therefore it's less
likely that someone came across a problem that you were having with Oracle
as opposed to a problem you were having with MySQL.

Russ