That doesnt make sense....

When you use
\\machinename\folder\filename<file://machinename/folder/filename>you
will still need to be authenticated, are they saying that they prefer
use an account that is not in the AD? What is that all about? I would have
thought a group in the AD sperate to normal accounts would work, but not
knowing enough about AD I could be wrong.