Before you go too far down the SVN route, what you're kinda suggesting is
akin to saying "we've finally decided to upgrade from Windows 3.1, so we're
upgrading to WindowsXP". SVN is great software, but it's not really "where
it's at" any more.

You really ought to be looking at Git: either your own instance of it
running (and managed by by you), or perhaps better for your situation,
outsourcing the management of it to Github.

Having a shared dev server is a bit of an old-school approach to things,
you really ought to look at getting the developers developing on their own
machines.

--
Adam