The downside is that in a team environment, you constantly need to merge
and test and merge and test and commit. So you should be connected to the
Source Control to do this, and where I have found GIT to be a pain in the
ass with when multiple changes to a file can impact you.

But I agree with Cameron too, if you're new to all this, SVN will be far
easier to get running with as all the tools are great and easier to use
than GIT.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott