One of the primary reasons a developer should have a clue what happens on
the server is so they can actually debug and diagnose problems instead of
saying to their client/boss "it must be the hosts fault, lets get a new
host", which is hardly ever the cause of the problem.
I have seen plenty of devs make such suggestions to others as well with no
basis.
A complete lack of understanding of server  security can also cause untold
issues, with apps being insecure, or again assuming problems with the host.
The number of times I have seen people say they need a host who allows
cfexecute, or allows cfile to read/write anywhete on the aerver, completely
oblivious of what a huge security issue this is.
Just last week we had a customer who wanted remote desktop access to a
shared server and the ability to upload dll's, and this was coming from
their developer.

I can honestly say that most devs we deal with have absolutely no idea what
goes on beyond ftping their files to the server, everything beyond this is
a black box to them.

Its rather like being a mechanic but saying i just fix em, but I have no
idea how the engine works.

Regards
Russ Michaels
www.michaels.me.uk