setting up and managing servers is quite different to having a clue about
how your app works and some basic web server knowledge. A developer
certainly does not need to know the former, but he should at least have a
clue about his own development environment and be able to set it up as
close as the live environment as possible.
A developer is not really like chauffeur, a web designer would probably fit
that analogy better, a developer is more like the mechanic. Without some
basic understanding of how things work under the hood, both the mechanic
and the developer will be relying on a lot of guesswork and luck.

You cannot rely on systems admins as they are not developers, so you will
just end up in a "its your code", "no its your server" argument, with
neither having enough knowledge to prove otherwise.
There is only so many times you can tell your client "change hosts, they
suck", before they are going to notice a pattern.