@Russ

I can certainly tell, that we have very different views as to which constitutes
a quote-unquote developer.

In keeping with the automotive analogies, I feel that what Raymond is
essentially saying, is that he would not hire you to drive a car, unless you
were a mechanic.
I feel differently about this, as I would rather hire a chauffeur to drive me
around than a mechanic - but this is my personal preference of course.

Would I expect my chauffeur to be able to diagnose a flat tire and change it?
Absolutely.
Would I expect him to be able to diagnose and fix a problem in the engine
management system? Absolutely not.

In the same way I personally feel, that although a developer should know (or be
able to deduce) about potential security issues like the ones you describe, I
would not expect him to know about all the internals of the server.

If nothing else, I think we can safely say, that Mr. Camden would not employee
me, as I would much rather leave setting up servers and the likes, to those who
specialize in precisely that :)

(oh and on a side note, I find it very interesing to learn about the obviously
different views expressed in this thread - gives a man something to ponder)