In other words if that is what is important to you, total and complete
customisation, the only solution is to perhaps use some other program as a
template, but in essence you have to build your own.

Which was sort of my point.

The commercially available message boards are meant to appeal to particular
needs.
Full, complete and total customisation in ADDITION to an easy upgrade path,
isn't possible.

Once you start to mess with the source code it stops being Fusetalk or
Ultimate Bulletin Board and it becomes YOUR messageboard.

That said, I still think that Fusetalk is the best message board system I
have seen for Coldfusion, or any other application server/scripting
language, whether you want to use it 'out the box', or as a base to build
your own.

*humph*
*folds arms and nods firmly*
;-)