I actually use #2 a lot (cept, I wrap script around all that)...
I find it easier to work with.  However, I'd still like to know peoples
thoughts on pushing a component into the request scope.

Just to clarify:
<cfscript>
x = createObject("component","test");
request.x = x;
</cfscript>

Now .. 'request.x' is available to even other cfcs without having to make
an additional invoke/createObject call.

~Todd