Except that when i try to get people to convert from PHP or .Net, i.e.
give CF a go, the usual response is that they usually have MORE than
enough work already in either of those, and lack time to go learn
another language. I have even brought non Native CF-ers to the CF8
launch with the Vic CFUG. And they charge anywhere between 60-120 per
hour and have full time jobs as well as projects on the side.

Its abit of a chicken and egg, lack of developers = lack of noticeable
presence = management not choosing to do projects in CF because of
lack of developers = no one training new CF developers, etc etc etc...
and round and round it goes...

Personally I am already seriously considering taking up PHP again, but
that is a long way off(at least 6 months before I have to seriously
consider change jobs), still struggling to find time as it is to learn
and practise Flex on my own time. And truth be told if I decided what
language to use for any Projects it will probably be CF backend and
Flex frontend, but as it stands it is more practical to be known for
doing PHP backend and Flex frontend, due to lack of jobs/presence for
CF and that is the plain truth. Just have a look at how many jobs are
listed for CF each month (and actually try to guess whether its the
same jobs you saw last week/month), there are not many if any new
jobs. And not many, if any new development studios will pick CF as one
of their primary development language.

Even 2 months back when i was exploring other job opportunities the
pickings were slim, and still are. Just did it to find out what people
were looking for, and what people thought CF was going, and what I can
reasonably ask for in terms of pay at my current job.

The above qoute should read "its my career, Adobe's Technology"...
anyway as a rule i think it will be beneficial for all web developers
to know other languages... even if only to read and translate open
source solutions into your own projects.

PS: I don't like both Adobe and MS equally, and I believe competition
is good. Keeps all involved honest and continuously innovating.

Just my 2 cents,
Chong