Pete,
I know you said they replaced the master cylinder, but with them going to the floor and no sign of brake fluid on the ground (and a mostly full MC) It pretty much has to be the master cylinder. I had the same thing happen to my '69 when I was in college... it's truly terrifying.
 Can you get the brakes to 'pump up' if you pump on the pedal?